Announced : 19-08-2010
Key features of Nikon D3100
1) A new DX-format CMOS image sensor and image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon enable capture of high-definition images with superior image quality
The D3100 is equipped with a new Nikon DX-format CMOS image sensor and a new image-processing engine, EXPEED 2, both developed by Nikon. The CMOS image sensor offers an effective pixel count of 14.2-million pixels (D3000: CCD image sensor with 10.2-million effective pixels) and enables capture of high-definition images exhibiting superior image quality with extremely detailed rendering and rich tones. The camera also makes the most of its standard sensitivity settings up to ISO 3200 (D3000: ISO 100–1600) and additional increases up to Hi 2 (ISO 12800 equivalent), with shooting under dim lighting, such as in the evening or indoors, as well as with sports scenes of rapidly moving subjects.
EXPEED 2 is Nikon‘s new image-processing engine, developed by refining the concepts, know-how and technologies regarding digital images that Nikon has spent years cultivating. It maximises the performance of the CMOS image sensor to suppress noise in still images and movies and produces images that faithfully reproduce vivid colors.
2) A refined Guide mode that is even easier to useGuide mode has been refined to make most camera operations even easier, from shooting to image playback and editing to the application of camera settings, regardless of the user’s skill level.
The D3100 displays “assist images” that show the effect of various camera settings, giving users an idea of the results they can expect with specified settings. For example, when “Soften backgrounds” is selected and an aperture value is specified, the assist image displayed in the monitor changes to show the effect that aperture setting will have on images. This allows users to confirm that images will appear as they intended prior to shooting and reduces the number of unsuccessful shots.
Other new functions built into Guide mode:
1. Selection from 3 shooting techniques: “Use the viewfinder,” “Use live view,” “Shoot movies”
2. “Bring more into focus” and “Show water flowing” options have been added to the “Advanced operation” menu for shooting
3. “Movie settings,” “HDMI,” “Flicker reduction” and “Eye-Fi upload”* options have been added to the “Set Up” menu for applying basic camera settings
* Only available when compatible Eye-Fi memory card is inserted
3) Live view mode that allows users to use the camera monitor to easily frame still image or movies
By simply rotating the live view switch, the view through the lens is displayed in the monitor, enabling immediate live view recording. This makes shooting feel more like shooting with a compact digital camera, easing the transition to digital-SLR for beginners. In addition, various information such as the shooting mode, time remaining (movie mode) and battery indicator, can be shown in the live view display.
4) D-Movie for recording and editing full-HD movies and AF-F (full-time servo AF) focus mode for movie recording
The D3100 is equipped with the D-Movie function that enables recording of high-definition movies (with monaural sound) by simply pressing the movie-record button. Movies can be recorded with the same aperture and other settings applied in Guide mode, and movies that take full advantage of the characteristics of individual interchangeable lenses, whether wide-angle, telephoto or fisheye, can be recorded for movies that are only possible with a digital-SLR camera. In addition, the camera also offers an AF-F (full-time servo AF) focus mode for movie recording. When AF-F mode is enabled, the camera focuses continuously during movie recording without the need for holding the shutter-release button down halfway. The D3100 also offers in-camera movie editing functions that allow users to save a single frame as a still image or delete unnecessary portions from the beginning or end of movie files.
5) Scene auto selector built in
The D3100 is equipped with the scene auto selector function. When live view mode is enabled in Auto or Auto (flash off) mode, the camera automatically analyses the scene and selects the appropriate shooting mode from Portrait, Landscape, Close up or Night portrait*. This function allows users achieve the intended images while leaving all settings up to the camera.
* Scene auto selector is disabled with manual focusing.
Other functions and features new to the D3100
* Equipped with a face detection function capable of detecting up to 35 human faces (D5000: up to 5 faces)
* Operation has been improved with the addition of an independent movie-record button and release-mode selector. In addition, the rubber grip provides a better fit.
* Equipped with a Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) bus that enables remote control playback of images and movies recorded with the camera when the camera is connected to a high-definition TV
* Equipped with a new exposure compensation algorithm for greater flexibility and performance with NEF (RAW) processing
* The new ViewNX 2 software is bundled with the D3100
Nikon D3100 is Available in India
Click here to Buy -> Nikon D3100 price in India
Popular search terms:
- best entry level dslr camera in india (27)
- blogs trgauba com nikon-d3100-best-entry-level-dslr-camera (4)
- nikon d33100 settings to get good pictures (1)